Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Trait blog -The Nurse

Juliet's nurse reminds me of a grandmother. She is very kind-hearted, tender, and loving. In Juliet’s life, she is an important motherly figure.


“That shall she, marry; I remember it well.

‘Tis the earthquake now eleven years;

And she was weaned (I never shall forget it),”

(I.iii.22-24)

“My Lord and you (Lady Capulet) were then at Mantua.

Nay, I do bear a brain. But, as I said,

When it did taste the wormwood on the nipple

Of my dug and felt it bitty, pretty fool,

To see it tetchy and fall out with the dug!”

(I.iii.27-32)

“She (Juliet) could have run and waddled all about;

For even the day before, she broke her brow;

And then my husband took up the child.”

(I.iii.37-39)


These are just snippets of the dramatic monologue when the Nurse speaks as if she was Juliet’s own mother. She reminisces on all the times of when she was caring for little Juliet. It's almost as if she is bragging to Lady Capulet about all the great times her and Juliet had together throughout Juliet's childhood. She even speaks about when she breastfed Juliet. I think it is very sweet how attentive and thoughtful the Nurse is. I imagine her to be a very cute little old lady that is a bit like Juliet's partner in crime. After all, she is trying to help her out because she loves her and wants her to be happy. Romeo and Friar share a very similar relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment