Thursday, April 28, 2011

Personal Sound and Form Poem

Ocean Spray- (imitating "Blackberry Eating")

I love to go out in early August
and fly into the cool, wet, salty, turquoise ocean;
I feel the spray hitting my face as if I were
running through a cloud, an added bonus,
for I am after relief
from the blazing sun: and as I sink into the sand,
its slippery coolness enveloping my legs, the foam swirls
and eddies in frothing white bubbles around my waist,
as if it were excited children crowding to greet me-
although they are softer, less demanding, a whisper-
those whom I cherish as if old friends;
for I've missed them since I've been gone
away from the cool, wet, salty, turquoise world
that is the ocean spray in early August

3 comments:

  1. Did you purposefully leave the stanza open or did you just forget the final punctuation mark?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot... but now that you point it out it seems appropriate. The ocean spray will always be there, August will always come again. The period would make it too final- closed in. The ocean can't be closed in; it can't be contained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!! Exactly! This reads like an analysis of poetry that I would want on a quiz or final exam perse...Way to go, Artemis. :) Stay in this frame of mind!

    ReplyDelete