Monday, February 7, 2011

Demeter


I am Demeter, the goddess of agriculture and fertility. Because my name is derived from the Latin mater, meaning mother, and my close relationship with the earth, I am often mistaken for Rhea, mother Earth. When I gave humans the gift of agriculture, a planned society followed, so I am often a symbol of peace. However, I am best known for bringing about the seasons. My daughter Persephone was stolen by Zeus and given to Hades of the Underworld. I was so upset by the loss o my daughter that I stopped caring for the earth. Zeus was so concerned by this that he forced Hades to give me back my daughter. Unbeknownst to me, Hades gave Demeter six pomegranate seeds, forcing her to revisit the Underworld for six months every year, because once you eat the food of the Underworld, you must return. Even now I still refuse to nourish the earth without my daughter, thus creating winter. The Elysian mysteries, a large festival, celebrated the return of my Persephone each year.

4 comments:

  1. On the whole, I consider this blog a success.

    On the negative side, this sounded a little forced. Remember, you ARE Demeter. You should write as if you are introducing yourself- as if you are talking- rather than writing a biography. I also noticed a spelling error: 'o' instead of 'of'.

    On the positive side, it's obvious that you took time to research Demeter. You certainly didn't skimp on facts! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this blog was very well written, but it may be alittle over loaded with facts. I seems that you are just giving us facts and not an overview of yourself.

    On the other side, you can tell you spent alot of time on this and the research that went into this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the comments above mine. You should really add your own voice to your blog and make it interesting to read, don't just regurgitate facts. Also, make sure to proofread your writing to avoid small spelling and grammer errors. Overall, I feel that your blog was written well and you successfully helped us learn about your character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very intersting and informative, I learned something new!

    ReplyDelete