Saturday, February 5, 2011

Atlas Bio


Hey! My name is Atlas! I am a titan, someone even greater than the Greek Gods. My parents were Iapetus and Asia. I also have three brothers named Prometheus, Epimetheus, and Menoetius, who were all titans. During the Titan vs. Gods war, my brothers sided with the gods, whereas i sided with the titans. We lost :(. Before the war, I governed the powers of the moon; but now, Zeus makes me hold up the heavens and keep them away from the earth as punishment for my actions. The Earth is very heavy! Now that i hold the sky, I make the heavens revolve around the Earth's axis, so i am credited with making the earth move in circles and the visibility of constellations.

Ive seen many heros since I've been stuck holding up the sky, I even encountered Hercules once! He took the weight of the sky at one point so i could go get the golden apples he sought from my daughters. When i returned, i tried to trick him into getting stuck with my job, but it didn't work. Hercules also built me two pillars to help me do my job (The Pillars of Hercules), he also helped my brother Prometheus.

Another time, I was minding my own business when Perseus came by. He revealed Medusa's head and turned me to stone, turning me into the modern day Atlas mountains, and making it easier for me to bear my burden.

In many sculptures I am depicted as a man holding the world, but in reality, i hold a celestial sphere or the sky (which you cannot sculpt)

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That must take a lot of strength from you. I don't know if I would be able to do your job. Why did you side with the Titans if even your brothers sided with the Gods? I am slightly offended at this being from that realm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart response, Muse, but remember--you are YOU now, not Muse at this point. Reply from your own perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete